White Frost/Summit White / Satin Steel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chloe_21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Yukon Denali on order, I chose Summit White.
But I’m really liking that white frost. I drove pass a dealership the other day and saw their XL in Satin Steel and I liked that color too! Summit white is easier to fix, Satin Steel is a nice color, white frost is much nicer this time around & the white paints seem to blend better with that grill. Either way, sales guy says I’ll need to cancel the order just to change the color.

I know GM has had paint peeling issues. Are there any paint colors that are “safe” from this issue? =\

between the 3, which would you choose?

MelloYello95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Yukon Denali on order, I chose Summit White.
But I’m really liking that white frost. I drove pass a dealership the other day and saw their XL in Satin Steel and I liked that color too! Summit white is easier to fix, Satin Steel is a nice color, white frost is much nicer this time around & the white paints seem to blend better with that grill. Either way, sales guy says I’ll need to cancel the order just to change the color.

I know GM has had paint peeling issues. Are there any paint colors that are “safe” from this issue? =\

between the 3, which would you choose?
GM and other brands all have issues with their paint. These days, it has more to do with the products, and lack of quality products underneath. PPG told us years ago, GM wouldn't use a sealer under their white paint. The UV rays would ********* the white easier. We have vehicles come into the shop that are not that old with the paint just flaking off. We repair new vehicles that haven't even hit the lot yet. Honda is one of the worst.

GM is using a sealer under all colors, brand of sealer I have no idea. Summit white is a base coat clear coat. Most GM reds (Cheyenne Red) and the white frost will be a tri coat, meaning there is a color, a pearl and a clear coat. If the panel is not properly sprayed or quality products used, the color will not adhere to the panel properly.

Just pick your favorite color, and keep your fingers crossed

OP
OP
Chloe_21

Chloe_21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM and other brands all have issues with their paint. These days, it has more to do with the products, and lack of quality products underneath. PPG told us years ago, GM wouldn't use a sealer under their white paint. The UV rays would ********* the white easier. We have vehicles come into the shop that are not that old with the paint just flaking off. We repair new vehicles that haven't even hit the lot yet. Honda is one of the worst.

GM is using a sealer under all colors, brand of sealer I have no idea. Summit white is a base coat clear coat. Most GM reds (Cheyenne Red) and the white frost will be a tri coat, meaning there is a color, a pearl and a clear coat. If the panel is not properly sprayed or quality products used, the color will not adhere to the panel properly.

Just pick your favorite color, and keep your fingers crossed

I like white frost, the $1000 price tag I don’t like, and the Satin Steel I keep thinking it’s just too dark for me, but then I’ll see one that color out in the sunlight and it’s very nice!

To me, both white colors & satin steel are really good with the grill because it will blend in more rather than stand out like a sore thumb if the car was red or black.

I just want an easy to maintain color. The white frost doesn’t look like it would be too hard to maintain.

Oh another thing, GM has aluminum wheels that tend to flake. My dad‘s 2016 Silverado his rims are flaking. But GM will not fix it even though they know it’s an issue.

MelloYello95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like white frost, the $1000 price tag I don’t like, and the Satin Steel I keep thinking it’s just too dark for me, but then I’ll see one that color out in the sunlight and it’s very nice!

To me, both white colors & satin steel are really good with the grill because it will blend in more rather than stand out like a sore thumb if the car was red or black.

I just want an easy to maintain color. The white frost doesn’t look like it would be too hard to maintain.

Oh another thing, GM has aluminum wheels that tend to flake. My dad‘s 2016 Silverado his rims are flaking. But GM will not fix it even though they know it’s an issue.
I agree, both colors are beautiful. Our last Yukon was Summit White and it looked great for 10 years and easy to keep clean. Didn't show the dirt as bad as our new White Frost Yukon. Seems this one shows dirt more, but is a beautiful color. The Summit White looks awesome with the black out package. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the colors you like. They are all really nice. Only reason I went with White Frost is my last 2 Yukon's have been Summit White. I really wanted the Cheyenne Red, but could not find one with the specs we wanted.

Our 2011 Yukon had painted aluminum wheels. Probably the same on your dads truck. Our new Yukon has polished aluminum wheels. Polished aluminum wheels do not flake, but discolor sadly. That's unfortunate, and I'm sure upsetting for your father. Our wheels on the new one are great but they were not polished great from the factory so my husband re polished them and then treated them with Shine Seal.

I'm glad you finally have one coming! I bet your excited! We have 4k miles on ours so far with no issues.

OP
OP
Chloe_21

Chloe_21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, both colors are beautiful. Our last Yukon was Summit White and it looked great for 10 years and easy to keep clean. Didn't show the dirt as bad as our new White Frost Yukon. Seems this one shows dirt more, but is a beautiful color. The Summit White looks awesome with the black out package. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the colors you like. They are all really nice. Only reason I went with White Frost is my last 2 Yukon's have been Summit White. I really wanted the Cheyenne Red, but could not find one with the specs we wanted.

Our 2011 Yukon had painted aluminum wheels. Probably the same on your dads truck. Our new Yukon has polished aluminum wheels. Polished aluminum wheels do not flake, but discolor sadly. That's unfortunate, and I'm sure upsetting for your father. Our wheels on the new one are great but they were not polished great from the factory so my husband re polished them and then treated them with Shine Seal.

I'm glad you finally have one coming! I bet your excited! We have 4k miles on ours so far with no issues.
Thanks! My order hasn’t been picked up because the constraint. But I kept searching for ones that were coming and I found one but they wanted 10 K over MSRP, then I found a dealership that was willing to trade with him but it be like 1300 over MSRP. I cannot justify either of those prices. So I’ll probably get mine in 2022 or sometime late this year and that’s OK.

Originally Summit white is what I ordered, but the prices of the Yukon they’re going to go up I understand for the 22 model I just have to get my out the door price and then I’ll see if I’ll go with the white frost.

to be honest I’m just excited I can actually get this vehicle! :) and because it’s so pricey I want to make sure I have the color that I absolutely want. Lol. Now if my brain can just figure it out, that would be nice. Haha.