Mountain Project Logo

Inflatable portaledge (Grade 7)

Original Post
William Fleming · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 305
Ripped these photos off the Grade 7 Equipment Instagram. Allegedly 3 pounds, but they’ve got a kickstarter going for it sometime in the middle of this month when they’re going to announce details. Wanted to see if anyone on here has personal experience with these puppies. Looks cool
Matt Castelli · · Denver · Joined Feb 2017 · Points: 280

bump cause its awesome/im following

Creed Archibald · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,016

On the latest Enormocast, Jacob Cook and Bronwyn Hodgins give these things a solid endorsement. 

Kristen Fiore · · Burlington, VT · Joined Sep 2014 · Points: 3,378

This is awesome. My initial impression is that they would be much less durable than a regular portaledge but also possibly a lot cheaper? I bought a used portaledge that is more than a decade old and it works great, I imagine these wouldn't likely hold up that well but maybe if they are cheaper it would be worthwhile, especially for the substantial weight and size difference.

Timothy Prime · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 0
C Archibolt wrote: On the latest Enormocast, Jacob Cook and Bronwyn Hodgins give these things a solid endorsement. 

I was just listening to that. I hadn't heard of them prior and was just going to look them up. Sounds interesting for sure. 

Justin S · · Plattsburgh, NY · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 120

Got some feedback in yosemite about these things and apparently they’re amazing! I was told they’re from the creator of A5, but after selling he couldn’t use the name anymore thus Grade 7. The guys who used tested them said they can’t wait to have them permanently, and they actually hold up really well to the use and abuse. Lighter than a traditional ledge and cancels out having to carry a pad sounds like a big selling point. 

Thought the same thing about not needing to carry a pad, and that it's still useful if you top out and want to spend the night on top before coming down. 

Caleb Schwarz · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Mar 2016 · Points: 120

You know something is cool when it's so innovative it looks like an April fool's joke.

NegativeK · · Nevada · Joined Jul 2016 · Points: 40
Justin. S wrote: Got some feedback in yosemite about these things and apparently they’re amazing! I was told they’re from the creator of A5, but after selling he couldn’t use the name anymore thus Grade 7. The guys who used tested them said they can’t wait to have them permanently, and they actually hold up really well to the use and abuse. Lighter than a traditional ledge and cancels out having to carry a pad sounds like a big selling point. 

John Middendorf of A5 is doing the D4 portaledges now, not these.

Aaron Hope · · San Luis Obispo · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 346

Wow. That's a game changer. Probably lighter, more packable and way warmer (no more wind drafts coming up from underneath the thin portaledge fabric). If these things really are durable, my kids will be looking back on our old portaledges like how I look back on the old steel tube framed backpacks. 

Ryan Marsters · · Golden, CO · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 1,431

We met a Grade 7 designer/tester guy at the Bugaboo lot last September. He was going for a rope solo few-day binge on the north side of Bugaboo. The stuff he showed us looked interesting - relatively light, packable, and durable. While I'm no big wall guy, his setup was considering lighter and smaller than what I would've imagined. It'll be interesting to see what they produce.

Eric D · · Gnarnia · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 235

These look really interesting.  Though you will still probably need a pad with them for insulation.  An open cell pad like that would be really cold under you.

Kevin Mokracek · · Burbank · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 342
Eric D wrote: These look really interesting.  Though you will still probably need a pad with them for insulation.  An open cell pad like that would be really cold under you.

Apparently they have insulation in the already.  

Erik Sloan · · Yosemite, CA · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 254

I have a couple of these, and work in the Valley, so hit me up if you're here and want to try them off. Totally, totally, awesome product. On par with the Totem cam as far as game changer status! Probably as big of game changer as the Totem cam for trad climbing - Liberty Cap can finally be a beginner wall (the ledge is high on the route, so hard to make it to, and too much approach for a portaledge for most folks).

erik@yosemitebigwall.com

Erik Sloan
Rockclimbyosemite.com Yosemitebigwall.com

Nick Sweeney · · Spokane, WA · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 970

How much do these cost? I'm struggling to find more info

Gavin W · · NW WA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 181
Nick Sweeney wrote: How much do these cost? I'm struggling to find more info

Haven't released pricing details yet. Kickstarter goes live in 5 days or so.

Erik Sloan - any more details you can give us on your review of the product? Approx. weight, warmth, packable size, durability, etc? 

Erik Sloan · · Yosemite, CA · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 254

I think under 3 lbs. pack size is similar to a 3" blow up pad, a tad bigger, warmth is bomber - 4" pad yo!, durability is why it has taken so long - Nathan brought the first prototype to the Valley in 2014, but now it's way, way bomber.....I think it's in the $400 range, but I'm not part of the company at all so just speculating....u can borrow mine by donation, to check em out. Here's my buddy Dane on the Prow the other weekend

MP · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 2
Erik Sloan wrote: .u can borrow mine by donation, to check em out. 

the word you are looking for is "rent." 

Karl Kvashay · · Phoenix, AZ · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 230

Intriguing regardless, but I'd be blown away if these don't get shredded on non glacier-polished rock within a few walls time. *pun intended

William Fleming · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 305

Thanks for all the input folks, Eric I'll definitely be hitting you up about a valley trip, im just up in truckee so that'll be easy. And if you ever need a spot around tahoe, im your guy!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Inflatable portaledge (Grade 7)"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started